Today we’re going to start with the basics, fashion basics that is. Alone, these pieces may not seem all that thrilling, but it’s when you combine them with other items that they really shine. When you mix basics with interest pieces, such as prints, textures, or bold colors, it changes up the look. Something that once appeared casual may now look dressy, or a piece that was romantic now looks boho. So what does this all mean for you? More outfit options of course! You’ll be able to get multiple looks by just by pairing different items with one another. Sounds amazing right? In this post we are going to discuss a few of our favorite basics. These will work well in any wardrobe and are great staple items to own. Now let’s get started!
TANKS & CAMIS
Sleeveless tops are the perfect layering piece. These little tops can be used throughout the year and there are countless ways to style them!
Here are a few:
- Pair it with some some fun bottoms! Perhaps something with a unique texture, color, or pattern.
- Layer it with outerwear, like a cardigan or jacket.
- Layer under a shirt. Style with transparent materials like crochet, lace & chiffon or simply use it as an undershirt with any top.
THE EVERYDAY TEE
Not only is this item always comfortable to wear, it is extremely versatile as well! With the basic tee, your look can go anywhere from casual & laid back to ready for a night out.
Here are a few outfit combo ideas:
- Basic Tee, lace cardigan, pendant necklace, shorts & sandals
- Basic Tee, jeans, booties, knit cardigan and a patterned scarf
- Basic Tee, midi skirt, statement necklace & pointed flats
- Basic Tee, jeans, leather jacket, statement necklace & colored heels
Now let’s discuss outerwear. Cardigans and jackets both fall into this category but that doesn’t mean they function identically. In some instances you may want to use a cardigan and others you may prefer a jacket
For those days when you want some type of cover-up, but a jacket just seems too bulky & heavy, try a cardigan! Cardigans are fantastic completer pieces that provide some structure & warmth but are daintier than a full on jacket.
- Cardigans go with practically any look, but we especially love pairing them with sundresses & semi formal looks.
A good jacket that you can wear all year round is a must have in your wardrobe. This staple item will enhance even the most simple of looks and like the cardigan, also functions as a completer piece. The right jacket will add structure to your look as well as flatter your figure.
- To add bit of edge or chicness, try pairing your look with a leather jacket.
Does your look need bottoms, but pants feel like a bit too much? Why not try some leggings? Leggings will provide a bit of warmth and coverage to your legs without the thick material that pants have.
- Pairs great with tunic tops, oversized tops and above the knee dresses.
Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love denim? Denim can fit any style, be worn in any season and is just classic. It comes in several different washes and finishes, so no matter your style there is something out there for everyone.
- Remember there are all kinds of denim items. If denim shorts don’t fit your look try jeans, a denim jacket, or a button-up shirt.
In this post we discussed some of our favorite classic basics, but also keep in mind that basics can vary from person to person. Your basics should help accentuate your personal style, so if you want to incorporate a blazer, skater skirt, etc, go right ahead!
What are your Must-Have Basics? Let us know down below. 🙂